Sunday, January 25, 2009

Augustus the Strong and Erika (the Strong)

It is Sunday and I have so many experiences to write about. I want to write about them while they are fresh in my mind. My friend Mark has a voice lesson in Dresden tomorrow, so I am staying one more night in wonderful Dresden before we travel to Gelsenkirchen. Today I went out into the city and walked a lot. I stopped by the famous Frauenkirche (church of our lady) and sat for a while and zoned out staring at the inside of the church. The colors were sky blue, pale yellow, and gold with a touch of salmon. The choir was rehearsing near the altar which was beautiful. I explored the underchurch area and wanted to explore all the dark chambers and passageways that were blocked off to visitors. But I also wouldn't want to deal with whatever lurked back there! You never know maybe the passages were blocked off to protect us from a dangerous creature....
I also popped in and out of buildings to see what I could find. I tried to use my Ipod to access the internet in the old city, but most of the networks were locked or wouldn't work. I was sad because I couldn't talk to Luis. I thought of going back to the hostel for a nap, but I am glad I convinced myself to see at least one museum while in Dresden. Instead of napping I went to view the porcelain collection of Augustus the strong, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland at the Zwinger! There were many many beautiful Chinese and Japanese vases and dishes. I loved the big bowls with fish painted on the bottom, that used to be used as giant fish bowls. The others I appreciated for the colors and animals and people that were painted on them. The collections were even more striking as a group. The porcelain is apparently one of if the the largest collection of its kind in the world. What I loved the most out of all the sections was the porcelain from Meissen! After viewing room after room of Chinese and Japanese vases, plates, bowls, and vases, there is one big room full of animals! If you look closely at these life-like porcelain animals you will notice that they aren't quite right. They are closer to fantasy than reality. There was a rhino with more horns than I remember Rhinos having and a wolf mother with two cubs of different sizes standing between her legs. But all of the animals were so lovable! They all had so much character. I saw a swan that had at some point broken and been glued back together. I wonder who the poor person was that broke it, unless of course it was Augustus the Strong himself who broke it!
There was also one small room full of small porcelain characters. When I looked closer I saw how truly remarkable they were! There were many different commedia dell arte characters represented among other figures. There was something special about them. It was the way they seemed to be in motion, or at least they must have been in motion only moments before I looked at them. One porcelain couple made me miss Luis so much. It was a pair in early 1700s dress, the man in a purple costume holding a bird cage that seemed to be swinging, his arm was around the woman's small waist, her skirt was swishing just as it would in real life as he embraced her and their tiny porcelain lips were locked in a kiss.
Another couple danced with their legs outstretched, just like in a photograph capturing a real moment. I am surprised the man's yellow clad leg has survived all these years!
At the Zwinger there was also a section devoted to sculpture from the time of Degas. There were bronze sculptures with titles like "The Inner Voice." There was also a Degas ballerina.
I came back to the hostel and made a simple dinner and chatted with two other travelers in the lounge. I have also enjoyed talking with the ladies that work at the hostel. They have been so friendly and wished me the best for my audition. The lady who owns the hostel has a young shiny black lab who reminds me of Milo. I talked with the girl who is here tonight and told her all about my trip to the Zwinger. She has a tatoo on her arm (one of several) that resembles some of the flower and butterfly paintings on the Chinese porcelain. I told her so and I think it pleased her.
Goodnight! Pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment