Sunday, January 25, 2009

Die Fledermaus! and pasta with daffodils

Good Morning everybody! This is my last day in Dresden. I am excited to see my friend Mark today and I hope he likes the Tim Horton's coffee he requested in the orange container that I brought him. Of course it is really more yellowy or light pumpkin, so I hope I got him the right one! It is Tim Horton's though so it has to be quality!
After I wrote last night's entry I went in a desperate search for food for dinner. I was sad when I found the fish and chips place was closed! But, I ended up having a delicious plate of pasta at a lovely Italian place that was full of daffodils and candlelight! I had the loveliest evening last night. I caught a last minute ticket to see Die Fledermaus at the Semperoper and took my seat just as the overture was starting! It was such a pleasure to see how much the Dresden audience loved this operetta. They all laughed so hard at all the jokes and the audience was full on a cold grey evening. I also witnessed the huge opera chorus full of men and women in dresses with big skirts making out on a giant red couch. It was worse than a McGill Opera party (but, pretty close.) At the end of the show the frame of the couch was revealed and it was wheeled out while very realistic looking snow fell down on it. It was revealed just as the disguises of the characters were exposed. The singers were all very good and it was such a fantastic way to spend the evening after my audition.
I have already checked out of the kangaroo youth hostel. I want to leave a quick note on their website to comment on what a nice stay it has been. It has been a safe, quiet, and clean place to rest and also cute with all the stuffed koalas and kangaroos. It has been nice to have a place to prepare food and a nice cup of tea. I have a few hours to enjoy Dresden a bit more and then I will look for Mark at the Neustadt Bahnhof!

No comments:

Post a Comment