Sunday, February 8, 2009

Amsterdam and memories of Delft!

Hello from Amsterdam. It is very cold here. It feels colder because the rain, snow, and sleet have been falling. When I left Delft this morning the clouds resembled a Vermeer painting. The clouds here really are different. The sky was so many different kinds of grey and there were patches where the blue sky came through. But, it was cold and rainy as I made my way around the bicycle racks to the train station tunnel. I decided to make a stop in Den Haag on the way back to Amsterdam. I got out of the train and Den Haag central station was like an ice box. I'll have to ask Luis why inside a building can feel so much colder than outside although it was definitely cold outside too.
I don't really feel capable of writing all the stories I planned to write. I think I am tired. You should see my hair it is a tangled mess. For some reason whenever I wear my scarf it tangles my hair up so much and I end up pulling out a lot of hair trying to get it untangled! I like adventure, but I am tired and a little bit sick. I haven't been eating much the last couple of days in order to save money, but that is silly. I can at least be organized enough to go get groceries! Although I am impressed with myself because yesterday I ate a big breakfast at the youth hostel in Delft and then I ate a delicious fried fish for 1.50 and even had dessert from a nice bakery for just 40 cents! The girl in the bakery was patient with me as I counted out 40 cents digging around in my purse. I truly don't know why I find these things so difficult! Mark and I laughed and laughed the first day I was in Gelsenkirchen with him and we took a bus back home after we dropped off the rental car. I needed bus fare and we stood in front of the bus driver as I counted out the change, I reached into my purse and pulled out a bunch of change along with a variety of mixed nuts that had fallen out into the bottom of my purse and I emptied it all into Mark's outstretched hand. The bus driver just grinned. Eating a fish in Delft was a fun experience too. I saw a lineup of locals at a corner shop called "Mr Fish." A group of blue eyed elderly men stood around a tall table with thin, rectangular paper plates of fried battered fish. It smelled great. I lined up and got a fish too and ate it at the little table with a little fork. It was awesome.
Tonight I finally gave in and went for a full meal. I had an Indian dinner here in Amsterdam at a peaceful candlelit restaurant. I drank chai tea, which I love. It felt so much better to have food in my belly. I was thinking how much I missed Luis and looking across the candlelit table at the other lonely place setting with its unused fork and knife caused me to shed a few quiet tears at my little table. I think the nice waiter noticed I was lonely because he came by to chat with me and he even gave me a discount on my dinner and kept offering me more food.
It also cheered me up quite a bit, when I was walking back to the youth hostel and a middle eastern gentleman who was sweeping the street outside his restaurant shouted out to me
"Hey do you want a free boyfriend?"
"Pardon me?" I was curious.
"Yes he is free beautiful, sexy man!" he shouted. I laughed and so did the man's friend a grocery store owner from across the street.
And yes my friends, the adventure is just beginning for me in Amsterdam. I was walking around tired and cold and damp looking for some place that wasn't disgusting to stay. I checked the internet and found a couple of ""christian" youth hostels that I was going to check out, hoping that although strict they would at least be clean and inexpensive. On my way I was walking innocently down a street looking at old buildings when my eyes jumped "Ahhhh!" Behind a glass panel were the enormous breasts of a black prostitute in a tight, shiny red uniform. Seeing my surprise the lady smiled with what I think was an amused twinkle in her eye. I smiled awkwardly back. Of course I have heard about the free situation here with prostitution and lighter drugs, but I certainly wasn't expecting to see those breasts at that particular moment. It was a complete surprise.
Mark told me a funny story about a trip he took with his father to Amsterdam. They were in the red light district walking and they saw a prostitute eating Chinese food from a carton balanced on her enormous breasts while chatting on her cell phone. Funny image, huh?
Well, as far as the christian youth hostels I never made it that far because I came across another hostel first that had a bed for me and includes breakfast and internet. That's where I am now. This is the more typical down town Amsterdam youth hostel. A little dirty, but there is an age limit here. You have to be young to stay. You need to be under 35. It is a happening place called the flying pig. There are young people here from all over the world. Many of them are sitting in the smoking room now having the experience that a lot of them came all the way over here to have. A few minutes ago a group of people came through this internet room speaking a language that I don't think I have heard before. They were thoroughly pierced and tatooed and they were giggling like crazy as one of their party, a girl with long thin hair and tatoos took a huge swig straight from a wine bottle and stumbled through the doorway. Will I be able to sleep here? The night is still young. I think I'll be ok because I have a top bunk and I usually sleep with a pillow on my head to block out light and noise anyway. All my valuables will be safely locked away during the night.
This trip probably wasn't the best idea before my audition, but I will be ok. Live and learn. Things are not always as easy as they seem. I am learning so much. I am looking forward to getting back to Mark, Mark, and funny little Charley in Gelsenkirchen where I definitely feel at home. By the way, anyone who thinks that Europe is a center for elegance and class should take a look at the typical Gelsenkirchen look. Liberal use of self tanner is the norm. And a lot of these women look like they used Homer Simpson's makeup gun!
Ok have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment