Saturday, February 7, 2009

Greetings from Delft!

Hello everyone! Just a short entry to let you know where I am. I have not written as regularly as I did in Panama.The nature of this trip is different. I have been having a wonderful time here and there are many funny stories that I don't plan to post on this blog! I'll have plenty to tell when get back.
Mark has a guest for the weekend, so I decided to take a trip to Amsterdam! Gelsenkirchen is not far from there, so a two hour train ride through fields full of sheep and ducks and plenty of windmills had me safely in Amsterdam at around 130 in the afternoon. I saw online that there were many hostels in Amsterdam for very cheap. I figured a last minute trip to amsteram would work out easily during such an off season. Well it turns out there is no off season in Amsterdam, or if there is then the swarms of people must be unbelievable during the high season. The city is absolutely beautiful and I look forward to walking around there again when I stop by on the way home to Gelsenkirchen. I spent a lot of time walking all over looking for a hostel.Th only ones I could find with rooms free were over priced and smelled like urine and marijuana. I actually gave in and paid for a bed for 25 euros, but when I saw the room there was a creepy guy in there watching television and the smell was so bad. I couldn't imagine myself being able to sleep comfortably next to that guy on that bttom bunk, so I immediately went back downstairs and asked the rude asian girl behind the counter for my money back. I figured I'd rather spend the night on the street. You'd have to pay me money to stay there. So as the sun started to set beautifully over stoned, drunken Amsterdam I spent half an hour using up all my small change to buy a ticket to the town of Delft. I found a lovely place to stay here, and they took me in at the last minute. I am glad I waited outside for a while for someone to come and let me in. I have already taken lots of pictures of my room which is called the lotus room. It is covered in big spacy purple and pink flowers. Today I planned my outfit to match the room. I am so excited to be here and I am going to tell you all about it and take lots of pictures. This computer they have here is really difficult to type with. You have to push really hard. I will go through and revise it later.
The people here are lovely and the town is one of the most beautiful and charming places I have ever seen. The moon was out when I walked through the lovey little streets and it was peaceful and quiet. The water moved gently through the city and people biked and strolled under the old antique lamps.
I am glad I am not in Amsterdam and I narrowly escaped a huge down pour. I think I must have been meant to come here. I will never forget this experience. Well more later! I am doing well. I have my next important audition on Wednesday in Dusseldorf. I have a bit of a cold but I am fighting it off with some special herbal swamp water that Mark recommends highly. It is gloomy and damp out so I will take extra care to stay warm and dry.
Take care and love from Delft!

1 comment: