Friday, February 27, 2009

A post from Gelsenkirchen

Good Morning! It has been a few days since I last posted an entry, so I am just going to send a quick post to give you an update. This has been a very busy and interesting week! This morning I am getting all packed up and ready for the trip to my dear friend Birte's house up in Langeoog. It is a 5 hour or so trip. I have to take a train, bus, and then a boat to get there! I'll be with Birte and her husband and new baby! I am so excited to see them!
I had a rather intense audition on Monday in the town of Bielefeld. I sang for a German agent who was very frank with me about my performance. I don't believe he was being mean, just honest. Actually I have taken his advice seriously and I have been having some help this week here in Gelsenkirchen with my friend Mark. Instead of feeling sad or dissapointed about my audition, immediately on Tuesday Mark brought me into the theater where he works and I sang for him. We spent an hour or so talking about my approach to my arias and trying different things to see what works. The next day Mark's friend William, another tenor from the theater came to listen and offer me advice. It was so much fun and I felt like this was exactly the sort of help I needed. I have also been sitting in the audience for all of Marks rehearsals this week. His next show opens this weekend. It is a fluffy and light piece called "Herzogin von Chicago." It is really fun to watch.
Well, I better go prepare my morning tea and head to the train station. Have a great day. There are still lots of stories, but I should have more time at Birte's to write!

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Erika! Keep learning as much as you can and keep plugging away! We love you!

    ReplyDelete