Monday, March 30, 2009

Our Friend the Eiffel Tower

I think that many people all over the world love the Eiffel tower. Maybe some Parisians don't love it, but it seems strange not to love the Eiffel tower. When I was all over Paris looking for it and I finally reached it on a sort of gloomy day I actually felt disappointed in it. There were army guys in camouflage with huge guns guarding the area under the tower, and tons of people even during this off season. There were hot dogs, fries and snacks sizzling in overpriced little snack stations and loud rap music playing. There were beggars around and blankets laid out with thousands of Eiffel tower key chains for sale. I actually felt scared when I saw the guns. I guess that was the point. Well, that night when I went back to the youth hostel and met a new friend, he convinced me that I couldn't think that about the Eiffel tower and that I really couldn't leave Paris unimpressed with the Eiffel tower. So even though I felt tired from walking all day, I agreed to go out for an evening walk, because how often do you have an opportunity to do something like that and it's Paris? I am so glad I went. The Eiffel tower really is beautiful and somehow magical at night. I have to admit the Eiffel tower made me feel all fluttery inside. Below are a few pictures from our walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment