Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Raucherbereich another Story

Europeans will tell you everything that is wrong with what you do. You can be expected to answer for Bush's policies and explain reality tv shows. You will receive funny looks when you haven't heard of certain American television shows that they watch although often dubbed in German in Germany. They will wonder why you don't speak Dutch. When all of their countries are connected by a wonderful train system and they watch CNN and the BBC in English, they will wonder how it is that no one speaks anything but English in the US. You will insist to them that it is a big country and really some people do speak Spanish.
People back home that idealise Europe seem to think that better recycling policies and the use of bicycles for example stem for a sincere love for the wellbeing of humanity. However when all of your people are crammed in together in a small space and the Rhein river is dumping pollution in your backyard you might consider recycling too. There are some Europeans that don't recycle strictly.
As delicious as the bread is in Europe, loved by many, there is one thing that goes on there that I cannot explain away. Smoking. Smoking is everywhere. One day after an audition in Dusseldorf I walked the strip of train gate looking for a smoke free place to sit. As a singer I twist my face up and wrinkle my nose at the smell of smoke as I am sure you do too. I finally found a spot on a bench to wait. Only one business man in a detective style trench coat and hat waiting here. I waited in peace for a few minutes while he silently gathered background information on me. Suddenly he pulled out the perfect accessory an elegant dark pipe and began to smoke.
"Of course @$## %%^^ &^*6!" I muttered under my breath looking at him, glaring from the corner of my eyes and getting up to find another waiting spot. His eyes moved casually over to me, unfazed. I stared at him for a while from my new spot, then noticed a curious painted line around the area he was sitting in. Four signs marked the edges of the area. "Raucherbereich," smoking area they said.

No comments:

Post a Comment