Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Ring

I have brought home a very romantic souvenir for Luis. Anyone hoping for plastic beer stein magnets brimming with plastic foam, a dozen Eiffel tower key chains, or plastic dolls in traditional dress will be dissapointed by me on my return from this particular trip.
I was out for an evening walk with an Argentinian magician in Paris when walking along the Seine I saw something glowing gold and round on the ground. I turned around, picked it up, and examined it. "It could be a gypsy ring." He said.
I looked into the shadows around me expecting to be surrounded. "Ahhh!" I started to run. "No, No." he said "There's no gypsy here now. It's just I've seen them with their routine in the streets." He explained to me how he had seen beggars who will intentionally drop a ring on the sidewalk in front of tourists and then say something like "Hey you dropped your ring!" Then after appealing to the tourist's greed they will demand payment for the ring. When people don't follow their trick and just walk by they get angry and start muttering something in their own language.
The very next day I witnessed it in action in Montmartre. It played out exactly as my friend described. The woman dropped a ring, picked it up smiling and looked at the ring.
"Sir, Sir......you dropped your ring." she said to a man who just kept walking briskly by her. Her smile dissappeared.
Perhaps my new ring is worthless. I can picture a gypsy at the end of a day's fruitless work muttering something and throwing the useless ring into the dirt where I proceeded to find it. Or perhaps it got there when a pair of newly weds came on their romantic trip to Paris and ended up having a heated fight.
"Fine! It's over!" The man throwing his ring into a dark spot next to the Seine and wandering off into the night. Perhaps we will see what it is worth. Luis seems to like the ring and even though it is too big for him to wear, he might keep it. I can be a bit superstitious. For example I took no pictures in the cemetery, Pere-Lachaise. Do you think I want to be in a Korean horror film where the ghosts start appearing in the photographs and follow me? I don't have time for that. I also ate nothing even though I had some food in my bag and was a little hungry because I didn't want the ghosts to be jealous. I am sure I would miss food if I were a ghost.
But, maybe the ring is a good sign and I was meant to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment